Saturday, October 19, 2013

What are you reading this weekend?

The Ghost of GraylockSince I'm traveling this weekend, I brought along some student favorites and some picture books to keep my 3yo happy.  I finished The Haunting of Gabriel Ashe last night/early this morning.  Here's my review.  If you liked The Ghost of Graylock, then this is a good choice for you.  I have trouble keeping both of these in my library since we're doing a Scary Stories display.

The Haunting of Gabriel AsheThe Haunting of Gabriel Ashe by Dan Poblocki
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Poblocki continues the spine tingling mystery with Gabriel Ashe that he introduced in The Ghost of Graylock. Basically the story goes like this: boy loses home in fire, moves w/ family to grandmother's mansion, makes friends with local boy who is ostracized at school, has to choose b/w new friend and group of popular people, discovers local mysterious disappearances, and has to find an ending to the strange happenings around town. Gabriel is the main character but Seth's character also holds up the story. I like the pretend world that Seth introduces to Gabriel. It makes the boys seem more human, more middle school. I did not feel that there was a strong enough connection between Gabriel and his grandmother, but that is explained later in the book. Good mystery, kept my attention long after bedtime, and then of course I had trouble falling asleep.
View all my reviews

This week, I'll have Chad Crews come present his show, Authors of Mystery & Horror to all grades (6-8).  I count on books disappearing from the shelves after students see his show.  I stocked up on Edgar Allan Poe faves like Tales of Mystery and Madness, Scary Stories series', R.L. Stine, Mary Downing Hahn, and Dan Poblocki especially for that reason.  Hope you're reading something good too!

No comments:

Post a Comment