Wednesday, June 5, 2013

It's Monday, what are you reading?

I've been steadily working on some middle level novels and I'm so glad I started with Okay for Now by Gary Schmidt, historical fiction set in 1960s.  If I ever meet Doug Swieteck in person, I just want to tell him he's not a chump and give him a HUGE high five.  I truly didn't think I'd like this book based on the cover and this is indeed a case where you DON'T judge a book by its cover.


Doug loves and speaks baseball.  His life experiences are sometimes met with a WWJP do question:  what would Joe Pepitone do?  For those of us who don't speak Yankee, he's a baseball player.  Doug lives with an older brother and his mom and dad.  His mom has the most beautiful smile.  His dad has a bitter mean streak and fast hands.  His oldest brother is away in Vietnam but returns about halfway through the novel.  As Doug deals with life in all of its frustrations and glories, he matures and ends up shaping his family's future in a big way.  Don't judge this book by the cover!  Read it and enjoy Doug's voice.  5 stars here!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment